Security Token Offerings: The What and the Why, Vol. 1
De Witt partner, Tanner, Walsh partner
It offers you what it offers to you.
What is a token?
It is a digital asset for the blockchain protocol. Receive
What would it look like if I saw one?
Unique digital code.
Is it a digital asset?
Digital assets apply across all technologies. Virtual assets are specific to the blockchain and crypto space. So, in the crypto space.
Are there different types of tokens?
Here are the broad categories:
- Utility tokens: A token of the blockchain platform.
- Payment (or currency) token: A token with the primary purpose of exchanging value or payment by users of a blockchain platform, for goods and services offered outside the platform.
- Token Security: A token with the primary purpose of being of digital is a representation of a security instrument Instrument, or providing <br> <br> the rights and benefits of a security instrument Instrument.
- Mortgage collection of incomes. Asset tokens generated by this asset. Asset tokens are a subset of security tokens.
- Hybrid token: A token that combines elements of these (and in the future, other) categories of tokens.
There are tokens of many different stripes and colors.
What is the big fuss about security tokens?
One of the main problems is regulation. Many “utility” tokens can be classified as security tokens (or another form of regulated token). Also, even if a token is considered a utility token in one location, it could be considered a security token in another. It’s complicated, grey, uncertain and risky. There is much greater regulatory certainty if the token is treated by the project promoters as a security.
Regulation is a pretty heavy burden. Why would I want to take that on?
As the security token environment matures, the cost of a public offering will reduce. There will be disintermediation – less need for lawyers, brokers, registrars and other middle men. The ongoing compliance process will become significantly automated. Think: securities compliance as a service (SCaaS). Regulation could become … attractive.
It is just about regulation then?
That is only one reason. There are quite a few practical benefits to security tokens. These generally arise from the use of blockchain technology in a securities context. These include:
- Increased liquidity: Security tokens reduce friction in security transfer. This increases the ease of selling the security, and reduces the illiquidity discount often attributed to private investments.
- Increased market depth: Security tokens increase the number of people able to participate in token trading. This can be done by fractionalisation of the investment. So, an expensive investment may have an investment threshold too high for many to participate. If that can instead be divided into many fractional interests, the bar to investment can be reduced. Then, there are many more people who can participate. For instance, there may only be a handful of people in the world that could buy an original Andy Warhol. But there could be many more who could buy a security token that represents 1/1,000 of an Andy Warhol. That’s depth.
- Disintermediation: There should be less need, or even no need, for intermediaries who are essential to the current process. The share register will be automatically maintained in an irrefutable record. Transaction processing, clearing and settlement will be automated and almost instant. Assessment of permitted persons to participate will be governed by smart contracts, not lawyers.
We will tokenise the world!
Not quite. The best use case for security tokens is illiquid assets that are sensitive to the cost of capital but agnostic to the identity of investors.
Use English I can understand.
Well, let’s take a couple of examples.
Real estate is illiquid. Your investment rapidly. Cost of capital largely dictates the investment. The identity of the investors is not that important. A quality real estate asset is a good use case for tokenisation.
On the flip side, take a social enterprise business. This is a critical feature. Couldn’t be shocking to the founders of the business. Not a good candidate for tokenisation.
Regulation in financial markets plays an important role in promoting fair competition and cooperation to build vibrant ecosystems. This is, however, still ambiguous in the emerging crypto asset class with…
The company will introduce the Launch Base platform. New alt coins will be sold in a live queue. Other platforms abandoned this model due to the fact that fundraising campaigns ended in seconds, and many…